Tom came home with red sticker-ed beef. I froze it and pulled it out 2 days ago to thaw in the fridge. I decided to make a taco thing with it. I've moved on from just 'make-your-own-tacos' to taco salad like tom's Aunt Dot makes. I wanted something different this time. I was thinking kind of like a Mexican dirty-rice.. maybe served over a bed of lettuce. I went to the store, bought my stuff and came home to prepare. I looked online maybe for a suggestion to what I had in my head and when I typed in "taco rice" in google, it came u with Taco Rice. Apparently, it's what I was going to make, the way I was going to make it but it's somehow a Japanese dish. Go figure!
Anyway, the results were awesome! Everyone loved it and it was easy and cheap! Could it get better than that?
1.5-2 pounds ground beef (more if it's higher fat, less if it's lean)
2 packets mild taco seasoning
1-1/3 cup water
1/3 cup salsa
6 cups cooked rice
1-1/2 cups shredded Mexican Mix cheese
1 head of iceberg lettuce, in small pieces
- Cook beef and drain.
- add both seasoning packets and water.
- bring to boil then let simmer for 5 minutes. There will be liquid in pan which is a good thing.
- in a large bowl add rice, meat mixture and mix really well.
- add salsa and mix
- add cheese and mix.
- if it needs to be rewarmed, add to original pot on medium and heat and stir for a few minutes.
- put lettuce in bowl, then a scoop of rice mix, then a dollop of sour cream!
Alternately, if you heat a flour tortilla in a pan until it starts to get crispy, then squirt on some sour cream, add a scoop of rice mix and fold.. it's like the best grilled stuffed burrito form Taco Bell. Just way better! :)